Saturday, June 12, 2010

Big Planting

These are the plants I purchased at the Flint Farmer's Market. These are the plants that set the whole garden building into motion. I love these plants. Actually only half of these are in the garden because the other half belong to one of the other blog writers. I'm hoping to get pictures of what she did with her's because she is container gardening since she lives in a town house. Molly was Photo Dude's helper for most of the planting until the mosquitoes drove her inside (or until the stress of her possibly breaking the stems became too much I'm not sure which). We read each of the labels to that we knew how far to space the plants. It is hard to imagine these little things getting as big as the labels say they will. For a quick run down Maria and I picked out lots of peppers possibly more than we needed to but we got a little caught up in all the fun colors available. There are Chocolate peppers, Red peppers, Yellow Banana peppers, Orange peppers and Purple peppers (isn't purple peppers just so much fun to say?!). I think that is all the colors we got two of each color. I guess I'd better start finding pepper recipes!We also got Yellow Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, and a Beefsteak/Roma Tomato Hybrid. These tomatoes along with our Fourth of July tomato will hopefully keep our tummies happy for most of the summer. I loved canning my own tomatoes last year and I'm looking forward to doing it again this fall although I know that I'll still be buying a good portion of the tomatoes from the farmer's market.
Wow look at that all planted. The white stakes in the ground are pieces of left over PVC pipe from some other project that now are labeling what plants are where. Oh! We also planted peas, green beans, yellow squash, and pickling cucumbers. I think that is all the plants. One of the summer projects the kids and I have are to start a garden journal with all our plants and we are going to try to measure them each week and do some sort of graph for the growth. Gotta' try to keep the math going all summer right?
The final touch in the garden is the tomato cages. We tried to convince the kids they were there to keep the tomatoes from escaping the garden but they weren't buying it. Maybe they aren't as gullible as I was as a kid. We also planted the vine plants around the edge so we can train them to climb the fence. That way there is no need to add another structure for them to climb on. We will see how that works out.

Just a reminder all comments in green are the random thoughts of Jeff AKA Photo Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!