Friday, October 8, 2010

DIY Laundry Soap

I was speaking to a girlfriend of mine one day about making something and she told me that her mom makes her own laundry soap! I found that fascinating, we go through an unbelievable amount of laundry soap. So girlfriend's mom emailed me her recipe and photo dude and I made it one night. It goes together very quickly and works beautifully. Actually the weekend that we made it my poor nephew had a bloody nose and this laundry soap even got the blood out without leaving that brown stain on the white part of the shirt (we did get to it quickly and stain stick it first just so you know). So here you go and photo dude will hopefully put all the cost break down up tonight when he gets home from work.

Here are your supplies
Arm and Hammer Washing Soda I found mine at ACE Hardware
Borax
One bar of soap grated (any kind will do I chose to use Castille soap)
A big bucket that will hold over three gallons of water


Throw your grated soap into about four cups of boiling water. You want the soap to dissolve. It doesn't take very long at all. When our soap dissolved we were amazed that the water was clear! Kinda' crazy huh?

Pour your dissolved soap mixture into your bucket. This bucket came from the donut shop down the road you don't have to buy a new one just make sure it is clean.


Add 1 C. of washing soda and 1/2 C. of borax to the bucket and stir well. Let sit for a day before using so that it can incorporate.

This whole project took us probably half an hour from start to finish. I think we figured that it is going to only cost us about five cents a load! You can't beat that price.

7 comments:

  1. you are so awesome Erin!! Oh do you happen to have any Lavender from your plants???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not from this year but we have some dried from a previous year why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I came over from the barn hop. I just started making my own powdered laundry detergent and I really like it so far. It makes me feel so homey and thrifty. :) Happy Laundering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this recipe! We over here in CA will definitely be trying it! I came from the barn hop, so thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We wash everything in cold and have never had a problem. The best thing to do is to fill your washer with water then add the soap, then the clothing. I love how clean everything smells without being overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make my own laundry soap as well. I will never buy store bought again! We wash everything in cold water as well, with the exception of socks.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!