Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dirty Rotten Slugs!

Last time we weeded we noticed a lot of holes in the leaves of our pepper plants. We couldn't figure out what in the world was eating them. Photo Dude and I went out a few night later around dusk and I noticed that there was a SLUG! on one of the leaves. We had found our culprit. We did a search online to find out how to get rid of these pests without chemicals since we are trying to garden organically. One website suggested to make a trap using a jar with corn meal in it. It seems that the slugs eat the corn meal and it then kills them a bit like a seagull and rice I guess. I don't really want to kill the slugs but I also don't want them in my garden. Photo Dude put together the slug trap and it seems to be really working! We haven't noticed any new holes in our plants since putting it out there. This is a photo of the slug trap. You can see one slug in the jar and another outside in the spilled corn meal. The same website also suggested using buried cups filled 80% full with beer because the slugs are drawn to the liquid and then I think they drown. We have been getting so much rain that this system didn't seem to be a very good one for us. But the idea of drunk squirrels running around could have been hilarious! If you have any suggestions to deter slugs or other garden pests I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!