Thursday, April 7, 2011

Easiest Bread Ever

 I have been making this bread for over a month and I have always gotten it to turn out pretty well.  So now that I have test driven it I want to share it with you!  The recipe comes from the Hillbilly Housewife she has lots of other great recipes on her site that I can't wait to try out.  Now go grab your big bowl and let's get baking!
 


1 C. Whole Wheat flour
2 C. All-purpose flour or any mix of these two.
     (I have yet to get my  50/50 mix to turn out just right but this mix works great)
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Yeast
     Fork these dry ingredients together. 
 Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add
2 Tbsp. Oil (light flavored like peanut or vegetable)
1 Tbsp. Honey (doing the oil first keeps the honey  from sticking to the measuring spoon)
1 C. Warm water (warm not hot, don't kill the yeast)


Give the whole thing a quick mix with a wooden spoon and turn out on to your work surface.  It sort of looks like a real mess.  Knead for about five minutes.  Just long enough for everything to get incorporated and the dough to get elastic.  Let it rest on the counter while you wash out the bowl.  Oil your bowl before placing the dough in.  Cover with a lint free towel and let rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.

Once your dough has risen punch it down and knead for about a minute to make sure the air is all out.  While kneading shape it to fit your pan because the dough doesn't really care what shape the pan is.  My first loaves were nice and tall but very short on the sides because I didn't shape them very well at all.  Let the dough rest after kneading while you grease your loaf pan.  I like to use a little vegetable shortening it seems to make the bread release a lot easier than the oil did. 

Cover again with your lint free towel and let rise another hour or so.  Place in a cold oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  It should sound hollow when tapped.  Turn it over onto your kitchen towel and release from the pan.  The bottom should sound hollow also, if not than place back in the oven for a few more minutes.  I like to let the bread cool over night before cutting.

3 comments:

  1. Erin, this bread sounds very good. I am going to try it tomorrow. I also wanted to tell you that there is a no knead bread that is fantastic. Just google no knead bread and it will come up. There is even a video to watch. Don't know if you have ever tried it or not, but if you like a crusty Italian bread with lots of tiny holes inside and easy to make, try this. I love it and make it all the time. It is good for the busy homemaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great sandwich bread! I'm going to try it! I put my bread in the oven (with the oven light on) for it to rise. Here's my version of "No Knead Bread."
    http://fitzgeraldsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/2010/08/our-daily-bread.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!