Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dry Beans


     Today I decided that I wanted to try something new, something that I think can only help us as a family.  We (I) are going to learn how to cook with dried beans.  It doesn't probably seem like a Earth shattering decision but as stupid as it may seem I have never cooked beans that didn't start in a can (except green beans).  Molly has been home sick the last two days and we have been watching Doomsday Preppers from NatGeo.  It has become an addiction.  The first thing we realized is that while we talk about prepping we aren't really doing anything and that has to stop.  So today while grocery shopping we made sure to get extra gallons of water, a small first aid kit and shelf stable dried beans.  If you have any tips or great recipes I would love to hear them :)  On the table is pinto, light red kidney, small red beans, and adzuki beans.  The ones in the clear containers are from a local source that will also be used for planting this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Erin, You can do anything with the dry beans that you do with the canned ones. Especially w/garbanzo to make Hummus. Just remember that when you cook the beans, do not add salt to the water. It seems to take longer to cook and they do not always get really tender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We grew our own pinto beans this past summer with great success. Here are two of my favorite recipes for pintos!

    http://columbiacreations.blogspot.com/2009/08/chalupa-grande.html


    http://columbiacreations.blogspot.com/2010/05/down-home-cooking.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I can't wait to try them :) Thanks for the support you guys I appreciate it a lot!

      Delete
  3. Hurah for dry beans! It actually took me a few years to totally switch over but now I usually end up scrambling to use the "emergency can" before the use-by date. Though you'll have to go online for it, there's a lot more variety in dry than you can get in a can, which is really fun. I will boil up a bunch in bulk as Mark Bittman even says they keep up to a week in the fridge. I've heard pressure cookers are great and I want to try my slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!