Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Three Meals in One Pot



I love when my dinners are multipurpose don't you? I had purchased round steak on sale for an amazing price but forgot to split it up and needed to use it or loose it. So I threw all three pounds into the crock pot with two large cans of diced tomatoes, some onion, and two green peppers sliced oh! and season all always season all. Then I let it cook away all day long for part of the day on high then the last few hours on low. The dinner here is what my mom calls Swiss Steak
Swiss Steak
1 lb. Round Steak
1 large can diced tomatoes
as many diced onions as you prefer (I do about a 1/4 cup)
1 green pepper cored and sliced
Season All (reduced sodium thank you) to taste
Throw the whole darn thing in the crock pot and voila several hours later you have a super yummy supper all you need is cooked egg noodles (unless you are like me and forgot and have to substitute rice, good but not the same as mom's).On to dinner number two other wise known as tacos! Before I froze one of the round steaks I had Photodude shred it for me. Now when you are getting ready to reheat this you can thaw it and fry it up with some taco season skipping the cooking step but if you need a really quick dinner like we did this night just throw it in the microwave until it's hot and dinner is ready. You can even pull out your good china like we did!
Dinner number three almost my dad's chili. I learned how to make chili from my dad, his was the best until he started adding weird things to it like mushrooms (did I mention that I don't like them?). This dinner what a huge hit with everyone. When I froze this last portion of the steak I put the left over peppers and tomatoes in the container, everything thawed just fine. If I was going to make this from scratch I would have used burger but the stewed meat is really a great treat and you don't need a pound to make this dinner. I'll post this recipe another time.
Happy cooking!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!