Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Moving, and a poor man's cake

Well, I am sorry to say I haven't blogged nearly as much as I would have liked to, but living in a dorm room without a kitchen leaves much to be desired in the way of cooking, most of my meals, when I do cook, are bland and uninteresting. But once in a while I do get a chance to get the dorm kitchen and whip up something yummy. I apologize a head of time, I didn't get any pictures of this, but I wanted to share with you a recipe (simple I must say and not really a recipe) that my grandma down in Arkansas would make every once in a while and was always a favorite of mine growing up. She called it poor man's cake, most recipes I find with this name is nothing like my grandma used to make. But I will share it with you here.
1. yellow cake mix (you can make it from scratch but my grandma always used a box mix and so do I specially at school)

1-2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
optional: you can add in dried fruit or nuts to the cake mix specially if you want to make this for like a tea cake or coffee cake

make your cake or follow the directions and ingredients on the box. Once the cake is out of the oven Do Not Let It Cool  it won't turn out the same, I guess you could let it cool but you will need to heat the condensed milk in a pan or microwave to get the right consistency. Poke holes into the cake, use whatever, I used the bottom of a wooden mixing spoon you can make them big or small, this isn't a pretty cake so don't worry about making it uniform. Pour over the condensed milk Only one can for the cake the second can is for if you perhaps desire more. Make sure you fill the holes so the cake can soak up the milk. If you wanted you could cover this cake in a whip cream frosting to make it pretty, however, I suggest if you do so, to not use sugar in the whipped cream, this cake is intensely sweet and heavy so keep the cream light and you will not want the added sweetness, you could make it a citrus cream to break up the sweet but not sure how it will taste if you try it let me know.


In other news! My boyfriend, (Mark) and I have gotten an apartment and will be moving in, in a couple of weeks. It's very exciting and I will have my own kitchen! And I will be able to garden so hopefully there will be more stuff for me to post about once I get settled in. That's really all there is for now, just wanted to stop by share a recipe and the news and I hope I will be around this blog more often instead of just trolling.
Happy Cooking!
Alisha

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe share and I can't wait to see what you grow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!