Monday, January 21, 2013

Homemade Cultured Buttermilk

 Do you love homemade buttermilk pancakes but hate when you don't have buttermilk on hand?  Then you get stuck doing the whole milk with lemon juice mixed in to make a soured milk substitute right?  We decided to try making our own cultured buttermilk and oh my gods is it easy!  I don't think we will be running out again any time soon.  

Start with 6 to 8 ounces of cultured buttermilk from the store (okay so this is probably cheating but go with me 'kay?) in a clean quart jar.  Check the labels to make sure it has the cultures in it.  I wasn't sure how fresh my 'stater' was so I used 8 ounces.

Fill the rest of your quart jar with whole milk.  I used it cold straight from the fridge without any problems but room temp would have probably made this go faster.

I then wrapped my jar in a tea towel and placed it in the oven over night with the light on because my house gets pretty chilly sometimes and when I did this the wind was really kicked up. 

The next morning I woke up with a gorgeous thick buttermilk that as you can see coated the glass.  Molly tried it and claimed it was like drinking one of those yogurt shakes and thought maybe we should flavor it.  That might not be a bad idea. 

 Of course neither was buttermilk blueberry pancakes for dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!