Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hostess Gift

 I'm an old fashioned girl at heart really.  I have always loved the idea of hostess gifts but very rarely do I get the opportunity to give one.  When we were invited to our ministers house a few Saturday's ago I was as excited to go and talk as I was to be able to bring a gift.  

The tag was the most fun to make and I have to say it turned out better than I thought it would.  I attached it to a jar of the Orange Honey Butter I had made the day before.  Underneath is a loaf of Oatmeal Banana Bread wrapped in plastic with a layer of Kraft paper over top (a brown shopping bag works great).  It was just so nice to be able to walk up to the door and have something to say thank you for inviting me into your home.


Oatmeal Banana Bread

1 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 C. stone ground whole wheat (or AP whatever is fine)
1/2 C. old fashioned oats with more for on top
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/3 C. buttermilk
1 TBSP. melted butter
1 TBSP. vanilla extract
2 whole eggs
1/2 C. light brown sugar
1/4 C. honey
2 medium mashed bananas (I like to leave them a little chunky)
1 1/2 C. frozen (or fresh in season) cranberries
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cardamom (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour a bread pan.

In a medium bowl mix together the flours, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a measuring cup measure out your buttermilk and add the vanilla extract and the melted butter

I like to add the cinnamon and the cardamom into my mashed bananas
 
With an electric mixer beat the eggs, brown sugar and the honey until well combined it turns thick and pale in color (approximately five minutes).  Mix in the spiced mashed bananas and the buttermilk mixture.  In two batches add the flour mixture.  Do not over mix you just want to combine these things.  Fold in the cranberries by hand and pour into the bread pan.  Sprinkle with more oats on top.

Bake for 1 hour or until a tester comes out clean.  Cool the bread out of the pan on a rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by today!